- What information we collect about you;
- How we store your information;
- How your information is used;
- When we may contact you;
- Whether we will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Any age restrictions on supplying personal information to us;
- How long we may keep your personal information; and
- How to contact us.
1. What information we collect about you
So that we can provide a personalised service, we may at certain times on our Sites ask you to submit personal information to us. You may also be required to provide personal information to enter competitions, vote in polls or otherwise express an opinion, subscribe to one of our services such as an online newsletter or participate in one of our online forums or communities. The types of information that may be collected at these pages include: your name, e-mail address, Twitter handle or other basic social media information, postal address, telephone/mobile number, your gender and date of birth. Different web pages on a Site may ask for different personal information. We may ask you for other information, including, but not limited to, your interests, opinions and the way you use our service to assist us in our initiatives outlined above and to improve our understanding of customer trends and patterns.
You are under no obligation to provide such information. However, if you should choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
If you're entering a competition, you can choose to tick either 'yes' or 'no' to let us know if you would like to be contacted or not. Don't worry, ticking 'no' won't affect your entry into the competition - your chances are as good as everyone else's! If you're registering specifically to hear from us, we'll take this as your consent, so we won't ask you to tick 'yes' or 'no'.
Please note that sometimes on particular web pages on the Sites we will require you to provide additional personal information. When we do this we will specify further on these web pages why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
We may also collect technical information such as the browser that your device uses, your device’s IP address, length of visits to certain pages of Sites and page interaction information (for example the number of clicks you make on any of the Sites).
2. How we store your information
Information you submit via a Site is sent to a device located in the United Kingdom. Information submitted by you may be transferred to, stored and processed by us, our subsidiaries, BPI and any subsidiaries of BPI as well as BAL and BPI's service providers and to other reputable third party organisations, which may be situated outside the European Economic Area. In addition if you use our services while you are outside the EEA, your information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those services.
Unfortunately as the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Sites. Any transmission is at your own risk.
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your hard drive to store and sometimes track information about you. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that. However, you may not be able to take full advantage of a website if you do so. Cookies are specific to the server that created them and cannot be accessed by other servers, which means they cannot be used to track your movements around the web. Although they do identify a user's device, cookies do not personally identify users and passwords and credit card information are not stored in cookies.
- identify who you are and to access your account information;
- estimate our audience size and patterns;
- control how often visitors see similar adverts on the Sites; and
- track preferences to improve and update our Sites.
For more information on cookies and how to disable them you can consult the information provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau UK at www.allaboutcookies.org/.
The Sites may from time to time include advertisements generated by third parties. Some of these third parties use their own cookies to track the number of people who have seen their advertisements, measure how effective they are or provide you with advertisements that are closer to your interests. These cookies cannot be used to identify an individual and we do not have access to them. The third party companies that create these cookies have their own privacy policies. If you would like to disable "third party" cookies from them, you can turn them off by going to the third party's website and getting them to create a one-time cookie which prevents any further cookies being generated.
4. How your information is used
We will use the information you provide to us to:
- monitor, develop and improve the Sites, services and your experience;
- assist in and administer the provision of services to you (i.e. send news and communications via email, social media, post, fax or phone or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- process and deal with any complaints or enquiries made about you;
- contact you about a submission you have made to a Site, including any content you provide; and
- understand customer trends and patterns.
We will use the technical information we collect about you:
- to administer the Sites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve the Sites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device, including by detecting the geolocation of your IP address;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- as part of our efforts to keep our Sites safe and secure.
5. When we may contact you
We may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that we can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to a Site; and
- to invite you to participate in surveys about our services (participation is always voluntary).
- Local pages will give you information about how we will contact you in relation to specific services.
6. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
We will not contact you for marketing purposes.
7. Will we share your personal information with anyone else?
We may share your information with our group companies and our ultimate holding company. However, we will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (e.g. to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in paragraph 8.
8. Use of information within BAL and other parties
Generally, we will only use your information within BAL, BAL’s subsidiaries, BPI and any subsidiaries of BPI. However, sometimes BAL and/or BPI use third parties to process your information. BAL and/or BPI will require these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and will require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
9. Offensive or inappropriate content on a site
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to a Site, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on a Site, we may use your personal information to stop such behaviour. Where we reasonably believe that you are or may be in breach of any of applicable laws (for example, but without limitation, content you have posted may be defamatory), we may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school email/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
10. What if you are a user aged 16 or under?
Please get your parent/guardian's permission before providing personal information to a Site if you are aged 16 or under. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information. If we become aware that you are under 16 and are attempting to or have submitted personal information via a Site without your parent/guardian's permission, we will not accept such information and we will take steps to remove such information from our records. This may involve us having to access and verify your age and other relevant details.
11. Keeping our records accurate
We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible, but we depend on our users to update their personal information whenever necessary. You can inform us of a change in your details or unsubscribe from our mailing list by emailing us at email@example.com or by writing to us at the address set out below. If you have another query relating to your information, please contact us as set out below.
12. Limitation of liability
The Sites may contain links to other websites where information practices may be different to ours. For example, if you "click" on a link, the "click" may take you off the Site. Visitors should consult the other websites' privacy policies as we are not responsible for and have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties.
We may sometimes offer content (e.g. competitions, sweepstakes, or promotions) sponsored by or co-branded with identified third parties. The third parties may obtain personally identifiable information that you voluntarily submit to participate in the website activity. We are not responsible for and have no control over these third parties' use of this information.
13. Legal disclaimer
We are not responsible nor will we be liable to you in any way for events beyond our direct control. Because of the complex and constantly changing nature of our technology and business, we cannot guarantee nor do we represent that our performance will be error free, and to the maximum extent permitted by law we will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or punitive damages or any other loss suffered by you and relating to the use or release of your personal information.
14. How long will we keep your personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with BAL.
Where you contribute to a Site, we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted by you.
15. Can you find out what personal information we hold about you?
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. We charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved photographic identification. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
16. Accessing a site outside the UK
Our Sites have security installed to ensure that any personal data entered onto the Sites is protected against loss, misuse or alteration. However, due to the nature of the Internet, we can't guarantee the protection of your personal information and we can't be responsible for any outcomes resulting from a breach of security when the Sites are used. We're confident in our security, and it is always a top priority to ensure we do not get any problems.
19. Your acceptance of these terms
20. Contacting us and cancellation of registration
The Information Protection Officer
BRIT Awards Limited
The Information Protection Officer
BRIT Awards Limited